Thursday 11 June 2015

A Weekend Away In Holland!

 Last weekend, as all my exams were finally over, I caught my first flight alone and met my dad in Holland to have a weekend away exploring Amsterdam and Zeist.

I know I haven't posted in a while, but I thought I would do a post on some of the things I saw when I was there.



We had a look in the zoo when we were in Amsterdam and it was crazy how there were so many animals in the middle of a city! This lion was loving the sun. How elegant and peaceful does it look?


Amsterdam somehow manages to have this city vibe about it, and busy enough to appear worth visiting yet not make you feel claustrophobic. There are so many people enjoying their day, but you don't have the hassle of constantly walking into people like a lot of cities.


I heard about this little cafe from Marcus Butler on youtube, and as my dad is a huge salad lover, I thought I would introduce him to it. You basically get to customise a huge salad for yourself - pretty cool, and much better than the unfilling places like KFC in the UK!


 Of course, Amsterdam is very famous for it's canals so I just had to do what every tourist does - and take a photo from a bridge of one of the canals.



I have to say, one thing I adore here was how the number of boats and bikes exceeded the number of cars. Being in the centre of the action, but not the centre of the pollution is always a blessing!


As with all great timings, my shoes decided to rub and I had to walk back in socks for half an hour to the hotel - so the next day we cycled around Zeist instead of Amsterdam!


We even found a cute town full of cool shops that were actually open on a sunday. Maybe I could have bought new shoes to walk around Amsterdam...


We spent about 5 hours cycling, and enjoying how flat it was compared to England and our 60 degree hills. It's a bit difficult at first, and I may have almost been knocked over by racers and crashed into bollards, but you know, once you actually realise there are two lanes in the cycle path it's not too bad ;)

I hope you enjoyed this less chatty blogpost of travelling, and more photo based. I'm thinking of doing that with my Florida posts when I finally finish them - along with the odd story thrown in haha.

R.C. xx


2 comments:

  1. Love this post and really want to travel to Holland the culture is so interesting! I want to go to some of the museums there.
    - Ellie Xx

    @thatweirdoellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much! It honestly is a lovely place, the culture is very obvious - bikes and canals etc haha :). I only went to micropia museum but it was very good if you enjoy science! xx

      Delete